Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Typical French Fare

Croque monsieur.  Omelet.  Escargot.  Pomes Frites.  Duck Confit.  L’Ognion Soup.  Salad Nicoise.  Entrecote.  Pain au Chocolat.  Café Crème.  Crepe.  

These are some of the typical foods one sees on the menus in Paris.  Perhaps other places in France have this same food, but for me, in Paris, this is what I ate.  Paris is a foodie’s delight.  A large city with bistros on every corner, cafes lining the boulevards, and fantastic patisseries nestled down the side streets, smelling of hot croissants and other pastries.

My first visit to Paris consisted of several multiple course meals at expensive French restaurants costing several hundred Euros.  This visit was no less about the food, but certainly a more budget conscious adventure.  I have no complaints about any of the meals I experienced in this large, well populated, and busy metropolis.

Breakfast today was a simple café crème (café au lait to some) with one of the most melt in your mouth pain au chocolat (chocolate croissants).  I could have eaten three of those croissants, but decided to save myself for later (a simple sandwich with ham and cheese on the train).

To the delight of my fellow travelers and I, all the restaurants we’ve dined in have provided the traditional French fare with an amazing flair.  Dinner at Charles V Café on the Champs de Elsyees our first night found us eating beautiful big bowls of onion soup with bread and melted gruyere followed by Salad Nicoise, frog legs, foie gras, and a green salad with goat cheese. 

Lunch one day found us eating bistro salads (Parisien style is tomatoes, ham and cheese on mixed greens) and ham and cheese crepes.  A meal so simple, yet so satisfying.

Dinner at the Flash Café was so delightful, we actually returned for a second night.  The fresh pate (for a very affordable price), omelets, escargot with butter, garlic and parsely; duck confit, entrocote (rib eye steak) with hericot verts (fancy name for green beans), sole con frittes, and local sausages.

I have heard people talk about French omelets before; and I have to admit I never gave much credence to the thought of an omelet tasting “great” or being so heavenly that it was worth repeating or sharing.  At the Flash Café I had one of the most incredible omelets in my life.  I picked the onion, lardon, mushroom, and emmental omelet, thinking it would fill the void since I wasn’t sure what else on the menu would work.  Fortunately for me, this omelet was something I can barely describe.  The eggs were light and fluffy.  Each set of ingredients had its own unique and beautiful flavors and textures.  I’m not even sure what seasoning was used, but I could tell the ingredients were fresh. I enjoyed this omelet so much I had to share with my traveling companions, who in turn agreed it was pretty darn amazing.

One of the most enjoyable parts about traveling in Europe is not only the quality of the food but the accessibility of a good cup of coffee.  Case in point: Peter and I decided to go to Starbuck’s by our hotel.  Mostly because we wanted to get a Paris mug for our collection, but a coffee was in out future.  The over 4 Euro Tall coffee was enough to make us buy our mug and bail out.  Next door we found a beautiful little café where we paid 2 Euros for café crème and another 1,70 Euros for the pain au chocolat.  Overall a pretty affordable meal, plus an amazing cup of coffee.  And instead of overpaying for the world’s largest coffee, we paid just the right amount for just the right amount of coffee to pick us up and get us moving for the day.

So while the typical French fair may seem boring at first, it is quite honestly some of the best food you can find.  They say when in Rome do as the Roman’s do.  The same applies to Paris, Frankfurt, or Prague.  Immerse yourself in the local cuisine; enjoy all that the locals do, because most times you will not be disappointed.  I know I wasn’t in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment