Monday, August 30, 2010

What is Gastronomy?

I was reading my friend's blog, The Winter Pilgrim, and she mentioned the word gastronomy.  At first it seemed natural to see that word used, but then I pondered it for a second, wondering if everyone really knows what it means.  Because while it made sense, I don't think I really know the meaning of the word gatronomy.

So of course I Googled it.  Gastronomy is the study of the relationship between culture and food.  Not to be confused with the art of cooking; kind of like a cook is not necessary a gourmet; or a foodie is not necessarily a chef.  Are you following me? 

Gastronomy takes all facets of food (such as taste, research, writing, understanding) and combines it with the scientific knowledge of cooking (such as physics, math, chemistry, biology, history, agronomy, and sociology).  I think it might be simpler than it sounds.  I found another definition that basically says gatronomy is a particular style of cookery (as in a region).  For example French Gastronomy.  Or New England Gastronomy.  Or Southern Gastronomy.

Now that seems to make more sense to me.  So basically, when you travel about, you are studying, enjoying, eating, reviewing, and judging the gastronomy of that city, region, or country.

Makes using the word gastronomy seem a little less sophisticated on the word palette and a little more palettable.  Right?  Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment